Friday, June 8, 2012

Book Review: The Secret Lives of Wives

The Secret Lives of Wives written by Iris Krasnow was a great book. I enjoyed reading it for the most part, i found her to be a bit staunch in her views sometimes, and a little judgemental of the "out there" lifestyles. All in all though I did like the message and the main point of the book, which is how to stay married long term. My husband and I have been together almost 10 years now, and this book really did change the way i felt about marriage, I have always thought marriage should be a forever thing and I knew I didn't want to get divorced, but it is something about the social climate in America that continues to tell you it is alright to get divorced and in some cases you are badgered into it or even praised for doing it. In this day Marriage is viewed as disposable, Iris comes from a different time when you stuck it out, worked it out, or toughed it out. I have similar views to her, I didnt want a disposable marriage and I didn't realize the key factor in making a marriage last according to Krasnow is finding happiness in yourself, and outside the marriage. Through the chapters in this book in which she interviews many women from all walks of life who have been married a considerable amount of time she weaves a portrait of a healthy marriage designed to go the distance. I would recommend this book to all wives, but especially those from my generation, so younger women can see what it truly takes and means to be married.





No comments:

Post a Comment