Thursday, September 19, 2013

The {little} Harvest

In April I decided I wanted to grow some veggies in my back yard... I went to the store bought some organic seeds, then I cleared a space in the back yard to plant a couple things. I wanted to originally do this because, I grew up with a garden every year in rural eastern Washington, every evening my family would all head out to the garden, and water, weed, and enjoy each other. I loved this time and I want the same experience for my children.
 I had plans to plant carrots, cucumbers, and broccoli, as well as strawberries, and a blueberry bush. We planted the carrots, strawberries, and blueberry bush, and hopefully next year we will do more.

I didn't have the summer I planned, but the boys still had fun planting the carrots and watching them grow, and now that fall is upon us we decided to pick a couple...here are the results..






They are super tiny and they taste terrible, I am hoping a few more weeks will yield a better result, but that is unlikely. We still had fun with the process, even if the result wasn't the best!

2 comments:

  1. It's probably your soil. Next time, try building a raised garden and filling it with garden soil. Also, container gardening is great with young kids. You can start the seeds inside and they can watch as the seedlings mature. I've successfully grown carrots in discarded (but cleaned) coolers, flower bed containers (the deep and long ones), even the plastic laundry tubs that are always on sale.

    Good luck! -- Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I was thinking the same thing, I did till it and mix compost and garden soil with the dirt already there, but I don't think it was enough.

      Delete