Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My MOM list

I was recently introduced via my moms group to a great blog I enjoy reading and have already gained some great tips, and ideas from. I particularly like a post called Everyone has one you can check out that post here. It made me start thinking 1. her list is way better than mine and 2. I can do all of these and my life would be easier if I did. So I started doing a couple things from this list and I can say I am so happy to have found this blog and list so Thank you Randi!! I also wanted to post a different kind of list it is more of an enjoy your kids list so here we go.



1. Get down once a day and PLAY!

I love love love playing with my kids and once a day I do my best to stop all the chores and get down on the floor and play. This can be anything from wrestling to building a skyscraper with blocks, but try to get to their level and enjoy them. I have noticed the days I get busy and forget to do this are the days they misbehave the most.

2. Say yes more than No

I have seen in a lot of advice columns to try to never say no, well that just isn't possible for me, discipline is a big part of parenting for me and so is setting boundaries. Also I like my kids to learn life lessons and lets be honest how often are adults told no, you can't do that? Everyday we live within the bounds of laws, so kids should as well. What I try to do is say yes more than no and I always say yes to things that help them learn and grow, if they want to paint or draw or make a huge fort I say Yes!

3. Make room for mistakes

I don't know about you but I didn't get a handbook the day my first child was born, and even if I did I would probably disagree with half of it. I make mistakes as a parent, my kids make mistakes, my husband makes a lot of them :). I always try to remember this is a learning curve and when I do make a mistake I file under, "don't do that again," and move on.

4. Listen

Listening is a big deal in our house, I live with 4 boys and listening is not their strong suit. I lead by example when someone is talking to me, I listen. This can be kind of hard to do, but I try my best, I want them to know I want to hear what they have to say. I truly believe if you listen to the small things when they are small, they talk to you about big things when they are big.

Definitely not as long of a list but this list helps me be a great mom, in my eyes!

Do you have any lists you go by?

2 comments:

  1. I love this list! I totally agree that if you sit down with your kids for even 20 minutes, they seem to listen more during the day.

    And I always, always look for praise. Not for me but for them. If I catch them doing something good? I tell them. "Thank you soooo much for putting that wrapper in the trash without me having to ask you! You are such a great help!" And I found the more praise I give, the less correcting I have to give.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete